Monday, December 28, 2009

Giuseppe Occhipinti May 10th, 1876- Dec. 24th, 1971


My grandfather, Giuseppe Occhipinti, was born May 10th, 1876, in Ragusa, Sicily. He was the father of my father, John Occhipinti, who was born August 28th, 1916, in Youngstown, Ohio. My grandfather's parents were Giovanni & Concetta (Occhipinti di Comiso, Sicily)Occhipinti. Giovanni was born in 1836 and died in 1894. He owned a stone mason business in Ragusa, employing his sons to build property stone walls without mortar. According to a cousin, Carmela Emilo of Youngstown, Ohio, her mother(Giavanna Occhipinti Emilo) told her that her father, Giovanni, died when she(Giavanna) was 8 years old. The family legend is that he had consumed a large bowl of figs and suddenly grew sick and died a few days later. Speculation is that he died of a bacteria infection, as he was only around 56 years of age. His death probably contributed to his eldest sons, Tommaso, Emanuele, and my grandfather, Giuseppe, to move away to America, settling in New York(Brooklynn) and then eventually, New Jersey. According to my late Aunt Helen Celio, the sister of my father, John, my grandfather Giuseppe made the trip to NYC and Sicily, a number of times, in order to help bring his other siblings to America. My grandmother, Concetta Cappezuello Occhipinti(also of Ragusa), did not want to stay in the slums of Brooklynn, and insisted that she, Grandpa Giuseppe, and their daughter, my late Aunt Maria, follow her brothers to Youngstown, Ohio, to seek work. According to Aunt Helen & my late father, John, their mother told their father..."I am going with my brothers...you can come with me and our daughter to Youngstown, Ohio, or stay in Brooklynn with your brothers!" Grandpa joined them. This picture of Grandpa was taken around 1905-1910 in
Youngstown, Ohio. Grandpa was around 30-35 years old in the picture. Grandpa Giuseppe worked as a laboror all his life, and only spoke Sicilian. He died Christmas Eve, 1971, at the age of 95 1/2 years of age. He loved to laugh and though only barely 5 feet tall, had very strong upper body strength. He would smile and laugh when he saw me as a young boy...saying.."Tommaso Occhipinti...fidgio mio! (My little son)

No comments: